Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's only been one week?

I'm not going to lie, it feels like I should be getting paid this week.
What can I say to you about my first week of budgeting? It's been a learning experience.

The following envelopes are empty as of last night:

1) Harmer and Coconut (my dog and cat if you do not know)
This could pose problems come this weekend when my 65 lb German Shepard runs out of food and starts eating my leg while I sleep. I may have to dip into next weeks funds to save a limb or two.

2) Groceries
This isn't as bad as it seems. As I stated last Thursday, I made myself a grocery list for the first time ever and sure enough, the groceries lasted until yesterday (with some spill over). So yesterday during some downtime at work I went to http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com and made myself a menu for everyday until pay day. I, once again made a grocery list and was able to fill up a basket and have meals for lunch and dinner for the following week for $15.50. Last night I made a delicious chickpea curry from scratch which came in at under $3.00 (and I have leftovers for lunch). It's possible to eat healthy for next to nothing.

3) Booze
This envelope isn't empty, but has $10 remaining. I figure that I can buy myself a bottle of Marcus James for the weekend and then have another drink free week (it's doing wonders for my figure!).

I do have to say that keeping these envelopes is making me VERY aware of how much I'm spending and on what. I still have most of my coffee money left; there's $40 a month that I can throw into my camera fund. Also the dining out envelope is still full. After spending a week of making delicious meals from scratch I realize that there isn't any point in ordering in pizza (made pizza from scratch on Friday and it was much, much better than ordering in), chinese food (made vegetarian ginger chicken on Thursday).

It can be done, but it is tough.

Hope everyone is having a great week. Keep your comments and questions coming.

1 comment:

~MeLisSa~ said...

Go Kristy go! Congratulations, as you are already successful! Thanks for the good link (the food blog), and you know not paying for packaging really adds up, too. You barely pay for any when you buy lots of produce, fresh meats and breads, vs. packaged things. Now.. totally none of my business, but why don't you take the last $10 alcohol dollars and give them to Harmer and Coconut for food?! :-)